Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Playing The Drug Store Game



When Walgreens came to our town three years ago I discovered their SuperSaver catalog. Each month several items would be free after mail-in rebate. Since I am not brand loyal I have enjoyed free shampoo, toothpaste and deodorant ever since.

Recently Walgreens has added "Register Rewards". You receive a coupon for you next store visit which needs to be used within a short period of time. It eliminates the hassle of mailing in your receipt and waiting four to six weeks for a refund.

This week Walgreens offered really fantastic Kellogg's/Keebler register rewards. In order to take full advantage I had to purchase 10 items that had to be on the same cash register receipt. Here is what was required.

If I bought 4 boxes of Kellogg's Cereal I got a $5 register reward.

If I bought 2 Club Crackers & 2 Nutri-Grain Bars I got a $5 register reward.

If I bought an extra two items I could also do a mail-in rebate.

So, my purchases added up to $25.44.

I used $3.00 manufactures coupons bringing the bill to $22.44.

I received two $5.00 reward certificates so my cost was now 12.44.

After receiving the additional $10.00 Kellogg's/Keebler mail-in refund my cost will end up being $2.44.

I paid for my purchases with last month's free after mail-in gift card so my up front expense was $0.00. Love, love, love this game!

J.D. over at Get Rich Slowly had a really great post about the Drug Store Game which explains the concept much better than I can. It's well worth a visit.

There is nothing like getting FREE food - Happy Dance! Happy Dance!

No comments: