Sunday, May 18, 2008

Books & Baubles

Our local library held it's semi-annual "Books and Baubles" sale last week. I must admit I am a cheat. Instead of showing up the first day and paying full price for story books and white elephant items, I only went on the last day. Then it was all the books you could fit into a bag for one price. Baubles were half price.This year they charged $5.00 for the bag. I was a bit surprised as last year it was only $3.00. But, after all, it's to benefit our library and I was more than happy to make my contribution.

My thoughts before hitting the sale were to find some books in nice condition that would make good Christmas/birthday gifts for the grandchildren. I also thought it would be nice to to find a few books to offer on Paperbookswap (I will post about this website later). Up to this point there haven't been any books I have really wanted to put on the wish list at the swap. But, I thought it would be nice to have some credit accumulated in case I did down the road.

I didn't buy any Baubles. I did purchase one bag of books.

So, what did I put in the bag?



Yes, I did find some very nice books to give as gifts. Love the Shark book and Thomas story that have clocks. The kids are still a bit young for the concept of 60 minutes in an hour, but they know we regulate the day by time. I think the best find of the day was the Disney Golden Book compilation published in 1978. It contains three Uncle Remus stories including De Tar Baby - ah, gotta love those politically incorrect tales!



Found 5 nice board books for the baby.



Picked up these three books to list on Paperbackswap. The swap isn't limited to paperbacks. These hardcover editions are in like new condition.



Unexpected finds included these preschool workbooks from My Discovery Book. A Children's Bible Treasury contains 12 small volumes of Bible stories. Di appreciates anything educational I send her way - the kids will just think its fun.



Here are some stories to include in my Grandma Library. I was especially happy to get Little Red Riding Hood and Snow White. Now, I think the only fairy tale I am missing is Goldielocks and the Three Bears. Also it was fun to find my first book from The Stupids series.



Finally, here is a Mr. T book - the only Mr. T book in the sale. I am not too sure what to do with it. I doubt anyone would want to buy it off Ebay as it was part of a series. For now I will put it in my own private vintage children's books collection. Oh yes, yet another one of my many collections. But, I have some of the most wonderful old books. When the kids are old enough I will share and expose them to a world they can only find at Grandma's house.

What a fantastic sale. I got far more books than my $5.00 worth!

Happy Dance! Happy Dance!

No comments: