Monday, May 12, 2008

Frugal Garage Sale Lessons


We happened to be watching the grandkids on a garage sale day last week. FG checked the classifieds and found a whole subdivision was having a neighborhood sale and suggested we hit it. Now, my first thought was "Augh! These kids don't need any more toys!". But reinforcing the idea that garage sales are a wonderful way to find useful (and not so useful) things is a very frugal lesson. After all, their parents take the kids to sales. Much of their clothing has been purchased this way. And, of course, many of their books and toys too.




We were blessed with a sunny day (our Spring has been such a soggy one). We spent a solid two hours hitting at least 20 sales. The kids were unbelievably good and seemed quite content to just look at things and play for a few minutes at each stop. Of course we had to splurge and buy them each something. Wullie got a Thomas and Friends Roundhouse and Beth was delighted with a Disney Princesses Wand and Care Bears House with bears and accessories. Pretty good entertainment for about half the cost of one Happy Meal at McDonald's.

Who was the kid that scored the absolute best !?! It was me, me, me !!! I confess, I collect. I collect too many things. But, nothing seriously - a small cottage and frugal lifestyle doesn't allow it. I collect what I find at garage sales. Things that I fall in love with. Things that I know I should put on Ebay but I am too fond of to part with - at least for now.



I have a small Charlie Brown, Peanuts Gang collection. I found this Hallmark Nativity Christmas miniature ornament set of the Peanuts Gang never removed from the box. The seller only charged me 25 cents. It was all I could do to keep a straight face. Having the kids with us helped - I also bought a cute top for Beth - another 25 cents. Surely the seller thought I was just an indulging Grandma - not a collector who knew she could make a very handsome profit on those ornaments if I ever wanted to part with them.



At the sale where we purchased the kids' toys there was a box of books. They wanted $1.00 each. Normally I wouldn't even look through them at that price but there were some nice large Disney books so I decided to have a look. Oh, be still my beating heart - there among all the newer volumes was a vintage Charlie Brown classic in very good condition. Printed in 1966 - it is a First Edition!!! Again, I just looked like the average Grandma buying toys and a book for the grandkids. It was all I could do to refrain from doing cartwheels up and down the gal's driveway.

It was one of those absolutely fabulous garage sale outings. We spent next to nothing. The kids had a fun time and got a new toy. Treasures are getting harder and harder to find. But I found two for myself!

Happy Dance! Happy Dance!

No comments: