Monday, July 28, 2008

We Now Have An Aldi!






Hurray, an Aldi supermarket just opened in the next town! Now, we can get rock bottom prices on milk, eggs, and produce. Well, I think so anyway. I will be checking prices against the new Super Walmart (two towns over) the next time we go for our monthly stock-up visit. And, yes I know that 1.99 price for milk won't last too long. But, for now, that sure beats the 3.69 a gallon our local Dominick's charges.

We didn't buy much on our first visit. I was surprised that the prices on their own brand canned goods were comparable in price to the discount price on name brands at Walmart. Again, I will be doing some price comparisons just to see who has the best deal. I am also leery of taste - if a name brand is the same cost as generic - of course I will take the name brand.

Aldi is small in comparison to other super markets in the area so it had a very limited selection. I didn't see any customer service desk - maybe I just missed it. I couldn't watch items being scanned because the screens were turned away from the customers - that really bugged me. Credit cards are not accepted - you can pay by debit card, check, or cold hard cash.

If you want a plastic bag at check out there is a charge. So I didn't mind bringing my own canvas totes for bagging. Actually that's a good habit to get into for all stores.

I over-heard a customer say "This Aldi is much more expensive than our Aldi". Hmmm, interesting. I wonder where that gal lives. And why does the chain think they can charge higher prices in a different town - because the store is new? - because they think the populous is more affluent?

Will Aldi be big competition against other stores in town? In my humble opinion - NO. The town has a nice Jewel, excellent butcher shop and fabulous bakery. I can see Jewel stocking less milk and eggs but otherwise they won't loose much business.

We will pop into Aldi whenever we are in the area just to pick up a few things. But when the town gets it's new CVS Pharmacy we will plan a shopping day once a week. I know how to play the drug store game so I am really looking forward to even better savings.

How lucky we are to be getting more shopping options. It's a good feeling to save more money as the cost of groceries keeps rising.

Happy Dance! Happy Dance!

No comments: