Monday, November 3, 2008

Garage Sale Finds: Antique Elephant

OK, I got caught - Alice over at Alice's Restaurant took me to task for declaring that we have already had snow for my "Blue" Photohunt picture. I admit the photo was taken last Christmas - shame on me for not stating that fact. No more artistic license for me - bloggers will see through it every time.

Last weekend was not cold and snowy. It was balmy and gorgeous - we are having a true Indian Summer. So I wasn't surprised to find two final garage sales in town. I really think this was the end of the season - colder weather is on the way.


I only bought one item - a old elephant figure - $5. Sometimes it's hard to gauge the age of an item but the detail and patina of this statuette screamed vintage. The gal who sold it to me said she purchased it 20 years ago at the estate sale of a world traveler. So the age and origin of the piece is a mystery. The one feature that is most interesting to me is that the trunk is pointed down - not up as in the usual good luck elephant. This is yet another item that I will put on Ebay and if it doesn't sell, well, I won't be the least bit sad. It is one cool pachyderm!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm not about to hold you back on the artistic license thing. I mean, look at my photohunts! You can't take much more license than that! I just, you know, have been darn cold lately and thought you might really actually be under snow. And there are people around her who never take their Christmas lights down. We've had decorations for it in the stores starting from when I was shopping for school supplies.