Saturday, November 15, 2008

PhotoHunt Theme: Ruin(ed)


My sweet, sugary expectations have been ruined!

I admit I have a sweet tooth - not so much for candy - I crave pastry - the gooier the icing the better! So it has been with much anticipation that a combination Dunkin' Donuts - Baskin Robbins store was coming to town. Before, those donuts were only a rare treat. The closest Dunkin' Donuts was several towns over. Now, those sugary morsels would be conveniently available - oh yum!

The store opened a couple of weeks ago. We didn't rush right over - we were hoping for a "Grand Opening" coupon to arrive in the mail - so far zilch. So yesterday we decided to just go over and splurge on half a dozen donuts - ooooh, sweet anticipation!

Upon arriving at the new building I had hopes of taking a picture of the shop outside - it looked pretty festive with all the orange flags signaling that the store was indeed now open. But, there happened to be a group of teenagers smoking by the front door - um, not the best timing - forget it. My only thought was - you silly young people - you will so regret this choice later in life while you are trying to quit. (Charles and Di were both smokers and it was very difficult for them to break the habit so that's why I simply felt sympathy for those clueless young people).

Once inside I was surprised at the lack of donut quantity and variety. We arrived before noon but the shelves were three quarters empty. There was no indication that they were going to be replenished. My favrorites were missing: French donuts, jelly filled Bismarks, and crushed peanut covered cake donuts. They did have a few toasted coconut cake donuts left which we purchased.

I took the picture of Wullie waiting for our six donuts to be boxed. I was all set to take more photos when the clerk realized what I was doing and told me it was not permitted. Did the clerk not want his picture taken? Or was it really against store policy? I have never in my whole life been told I couldn't use my camera in a restaurant. Golly, I am a gray haired little old granny - is that the profile of a spy from Krispy Kreme?

Next came the reason this whole experience was ruined for me. We were charged $6.42 (including tax) for our purchase! Are you kidding me????? $1.07 per donut?????? OK, I know some of you are going to tell me I am out of touch with reality - that this is a reasonable standard price. Our local Dominick's Supermarket sells donuts for 60 cents (including tax) and they are just as good! They don't have a big variety but then Dunkin' Dounuts didn't have any variety either.

So sorry Rachael Ray, this Frugal Grandma ain't coming back anytime soon!

6 comments:

Patsy said...

I am so with you on those chain places. The first one is good but then others just don't seem to live up to the standard. Hopefully it was just a *bad* day for them and next time, if there is a next time you will be able to get the taste in donuts you want.
Funny donuts are about the only sweet thing I really can leave alone. They just don't do it for me. But thick butter cream frosting --- I can eat it by the bowl fulls. (and that's a bad thing)

bonggamom said...

You'll choke on the prices of the new chi-chi cupcake stores that have opened up at our local shopping center -- $3.25 per cupcake!!! Can you imagine?

Rebecca Mecomber said...

That IS expensive... but that's what donuts cost here in NY, too.

I did Photo Hunt today, too. I hope you get a chance to visit and leave your link!
http://newyorktraveler.net/photo-hunters-ruined/

Have a great weekend!

Ladykli said...

Since they just opened maybe they just have their act together. I agree with you, $1.07 for a donut that's just crazy. I'm sorry you much anticipated treat.

Mine's here

Susan Cook said...

Sorry your donut experience was ruined. It seems silly that they told you not to take pictures. The prices are outrageous. I used to work at DD as a teenager and I think the donuts were 25 cents apiece!

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky. Our local groceries sell donuts for around a buck each, and they aren't even fresh. I don't eat nearly as many donuts as I would otherwise. Actually, that might be a good thing.

Frankly I think your Dunkin Donut moment would have been ruined for me right from the cigarette smokers, though I don't normally come down on them. Do they have to do it in the doorway?