Tuesday, September 30, 2008

When I Am Not Frugal: A Birthday Card


There are times I simply am not frugal. I knew my Dad's birthday was coming up. Could I have saved some money by making him a homemade card? Of course the answer is yes. But, not being very clever crafty I couldn't come up with an appropriate idea.

My Dad is in a nursing home 350 miles away in Northern Wisconsin. He has never seen his great grandchildren in Illinois or Washington state. Luckily he does get to have lunch everyday with his Wisconsin great grand-kids. So, what I am getting at is that I could have Beth and Wullie make him some cards but he just wouldn't understand who they were from. The kids' pictures are hanging in his room but to him they are only wall decoration. He is clueless.

So, what to do for a card? - a trip to Hallmark of course! There I found one in the "Expressions" line. It's big, bold lettering and very colorful - so OK, you see it at the top of this post. I felt it was perfect. I think he will understand it came from me and Frugal Grandpa - but then if he is having a bad day it won't register. It cost me 4.29 and I felt it was worth every penny.

Thank you Hallmark!

Post script. My sister has three September birthdays in her family - of course one of them is Dad. She had one party for all three. After dinner & cake she put a box of chocolates on the table. My Dad stuffed a bunch of them in his pockets (he doesn't eat much candy - he likes to treat the staff at the nursing home). My sister said by the time she had to take him home the chocolates had melted and his trousers were a disaster.

Bless his heart - Happy 88th Birthday Dad!

No comments: