Friday, January 9, 2009

PhotoHunt Theme: Aftermath

Deja vu - didn't this just happen to us?


What's left of our Christmas Snowman!

We knew we were going to have record breaking high temps the Saturday after Christmas. I didn't think anything of it. Our snow quickly melted - I didn't think anything of it. Grandpa and the boys were at Charles helping with a project - they didn't think anything of it. I was home sitting on the computer. I was just about to enjoy all the wonderful PhotHunt pictures for the week's theme when it happened. The rains started - not a nice gentle rain - no, it was coming down in buckets. OMG, it was like I got punched in the gut. I threw on my coat and ran outside - we were in bad trouble - dangerously bad trouble! There was so much water and with the frozen ground there was nowhere for it to go - except into the house! In a panic I called the men home!



Diverting the water toward the river.

They got the first pump going but it couldn't work fast enough. The second pump wouldn't even start. So it was an emergency run to the local hardware. Of course the store sold out of pumps that morning - figures doesn't it! So off to the next town. Luckily that harware still had a few. Junior arrived home with the new pump only to discover it didn't come with the piece to connect to the hose. So it was a race to Ace a second time.


Waiting for the second pump.

Just in the nick of time. The second pump was put into action. Slowly the water came down to a safe level.


Our neighbor Paul watches Charles work on the second pump.

Our poor neighbor arrived home from his work too late - his home had already taken on water. If it wasn't for the men working for many hours in the rain we would have also.


The AFTERMATH: A dry home thanks to my four heroes!

10 comments:

jams o donnell said...

Truly four heroes. I'm glad that they saved your house form a flooding. Happy weekend

TeacherJulie said...

Hurray for the guys who saved the day!

To us who don't have snow, snowy days seem magical, except of course, we don't deal with the slush

My PH
http://teacherjulie.com/2009/01/10/smog/

Ladykli said...

Oh my what a story 3 cheers for the guys! Too bad for your neighbor though! Hope it wasn't too bad for them.

Aftermath

jenny said...

Not living where it is cold, I didn't even think about this sort of problem! I had water in my house a year and a half ago---4 inches of rain in one hour. I am so sick of those aftermath photos, I couldn't post them today! Hope you'll stop by and see what I did post!

Have a wonderful week!

June said...

Seems like it's one thing or another all the time up your way...glad you were spared!

Anonymous said...

I hope you gave them a wonderful reward. The weather in IL has been crazy, almost as crazy as our politics. I'm glad you didn't have any damage. We live in a suburb along the Fox River but we are not near the banks because we're closer to the Randall corridor.

If you have time stop by and see my photo hunt.

JyLnC's Aftermath

Anonymous said...

Seriously, you need to put the house on stilts!

Bella Sweet Cakes said...

Horray for the BOYS!!!!!!!! Good on ya too Grandma for thinking so quick....

♥♥ Willa ♥♥ said...

oh my, those are nasty aftermath, and expensive too.

Anonymous said...

BTW, I gave you an award today.